Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sometimes I wonder how anyone ever grows up at all.

I don't have a lot of time because I need to get up early for work tomorrow, but I felt the need to say this:

I spent the whole day reading Suzy, Led Zeppelin, and Me by Martin Millar.



I've been a fan of Millar for a while and am super jazzed that his books are being republished. Good Fairies of New York was fantastic and Sarah and I have bought Lonely Werewolf Girl for I think about five people now. That being said, my expectations for Suzy, Led Zeppelin, and Me were that it would be fun and lovely, like the rest of his work.

It surpassed all of my expectations. The book is weirdly moving and sort of perfect, if music meant a lot to you as a kid.

It's not a book about Led Zeppelin. I know it's in the title and they're all over the book, but it really could have been about any band. It's a book about being 14, being a geek, being patheticly in love, and turning to music because it's the one thing at that age that doesn't disappoint.

I won't go on and on. It's sweet, funny, honest, sad, and not at all angsty. It has dragons, Atlantis, a zeppelin filled with the ghosts of dead rock stars, and it means a whole lot to me. I don't know why Martin Millar isn't a rock star to everyone, but he is to me.

It's my new favorite book.

Buy it. It's worth it. And a far better use of time than those Twilight books I know everyone's so damn fond of.

Also... It's short, so why not! You can't argue with that.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Great to see you blogging now! Sounds like a great book. Love ya, sis!