Saturday, November 15, 2008

Well, better late than never...

Months after the fact and one fixed laptop later, finally I'm able to throw out some pictures from my trip to Frisco. I am nothing if not punctual.

Our first photographic stop (which was actually the second day of the trip) is the City of the Dead, Colma, famed for having more dead residents than living ones. They're totally justified in claiming this because the second you get there, all you can see in the hills for miles are rows and rows of grave stones.



Of the 18 cemeteries (17 for the interment of humans and one for pets), our hands down favorite was the Italian cemetery.





It was honestly one of the most beautiful places I'd ever been. I'm such a sucker for moss...







I became slightly obsessed with this particular statue. Even the landscape around it seemed to be set up to feature it.



If you stood under the little tree in front of the mausoleum it sat upon and looked up, the inner branches formed a perfect circle around the statue. It kind of freaked me out. In the best way.

After that came the most terrifying drive of my life and a full blown weeping panic attack as we nearly died in a rental car on a one lane mountain road where the only house for miles had graying stuffed animals nailed menacingly to its garden fence. So I won't get into that...

The next day we did the Hearst Castle thing, which was neat, but the best part of the whole trip for me was Nitt Wit Ridge. It's about fifteen minutes away from Hearst, tucked away in a little neighborhood in Cambria.



The place was built by the town garbage man (who's life story I'm shocked isn't a movie) who didn't always make it to the dump with the things he'd collected that week.



I took a ton of pictures of the house, but they just don't do it justice. It was a bit like a fairytale staring a slightly crazy toilet humor enthusiast. If someone else doesn't write that script, I might have to.



I was sure I had taken photos at Hearst Castle, but they are nowhere to be found on my memory card. Shame too, because our tour guide was one of those people who sometimes show up in your life that you're sure could never really exist outside of books. He was like a hippie Einstein with a lisp and a gray ponytail named, of all things, Wayne.

I also have no pictures from Solvang, sadly, because by that point I was really ready to be home and all the little wooden shoes in the world couldn't hold that much whimsy for me.

There has been a lot going on with me lately, including a film that I'm excited about and job related problems that I'm far less excited about. Hopefully I'll get a chance to write a bit more about each in the not too distant future.

But for now: Welcome to the world, Jackson Lee Carr!

Yes, that's right, my sister had her second baby. I'm super stoked for them and can't wait to meet the little guy.

If this trend of boys keeps going, my siblings and I will be able to start up our own baseball team with the next generation of Johnson/Carrs.

-----
Edit: You can see some of the make-up I did for a silent film Vincent shot last Monday here. Please ignore my apparent inability to smile like a normal person.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Cool pics, sis. We missed you at Christmas. Hopefully we can manage to see each other soon. You need to meet your newest nephew. He is going to be bigger than Nicholas soon! HA!